Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
scorewell's profile

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

Fri, Jan 10, 2014 3:50 PM

Controlling second DVR with Slingbox

I got to DVRs from U-verse so that I could control one remotely via my Slingbox and watch the other in the home. I was able to isolate the signal so that I can control channels and normal viewing, but the DVR operation is combined for both DVRs (the recordings are stored together and two separate recorded shows cannot be watched at the same time). Anyone know if there is a way to isolate this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

 • 

22.8K Messages

9年前

I don't know nuthin' bout no Slingbox (someone will jump in that does) but I do know that you have only one DVR.  Any other boxes you have are considered "set top boxes" (STB). 

 

Think of your DVR as the master (main) box and the others are 'slaves'.  If your DVR box ever goes, all  recordings are gone on both the DVR and the STBs.  The STBs have no ability to record independent from the DVR albeit you can program the DVR via the STB but it's all dependent on the DVR.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

aviewer

Expert

 • 

10.1K Messages

9年前

scorewell - As both you and Skeeter say, there is only one actual storage device. But, what you do on the (non-storage) STB and the storage DVR are pretty much independent. I think we should first try to sort this out without considering the slingbox. Just think of the slingbox as another viewer when it is functioning, which yours appears to be.

You should be able to record & watch without interference between the two boxes. In fact, if you had just a DVR you could record a show while watching another with the slingbox, In fact, the DVR can be recording while the DVR is watching a recording and the STB is watching the same recording offset with a different start time.

So, can you say very specifically what you are experiencing??

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

 • 

6.3K Messages

8年前


@scorewell wrote:

I got to DVRs from U-verse so that I could control one remotely via my Slingbox and watch the other in the home. I was able to isolate the signal so that I can control channels and normal viewing, but the DVR operation is combined for both DVRs (the recordings are stored together and two separate recorded shows cannot be watched at the same time). Anyone know if there is a way to isolate this?


 

You can watch two seperate recorded shows at the same time. You'd have to watch one show via your laptop or mobile device while watching the other on a TV...but it can be done.

 

Alternatively, two recorded shows on both TVs at once is also possible. All the Slingbox does, which you probably know, is "send" aka "sling" the picture to another device, such as a laptop, tablet, or phone.

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

9年前

Thanks sketterintexas - I specifically asked for a second full scale DVR, but they indeed gave me a set-top box.

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

9年前

Thanks aviewer. Indeed, I read the literature and tested it again. Both can watch DVR at same time - must of been operator error....

ACE - Expert

 • 

22.8K Messages

9年前


@scorewell wrote:

Thanks sketterintexas - I specifically asked for a second full scale DVR, but they indeed gave me a set-top box.


It's one DVR to a customer.

 

But as aviewer stated, they (DVR/STB) act the same, just with the storage on the DVR itself.

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

8年前

Many thanks Guru. I did resolve this issue and can do simultaneous operations. The only limitation is that recordings cannot be separated since there is only one DVR.

ACE - Professor

 • 

6.3K Messages

8年前


@scorewell wrote:

Many thanks Guru. I did resolve this issue and can do simultaneous operations. The only limitation is that recordings cannot be separated since there is only one DVR.


Yeah, I'm not sure why you would want to seperate recordings, considering each box accesses the main DVR... I'm not saying you would want to, just confused as to what you'd do 

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

8年前

body { font-family: "Calibri","Slate Pro","sans-serif"; color:#262626 }
Only because I share with my daughter - DVR in US - I Sling to Turkey...

dhascall

ACE - Master

 • 

9.8K Messages

8年前


@scorewell wrote:
Only because I share with my daughter - DVR in US - I Sling to Turkey...
 

@scorewell - I'm not really sure what your question is.  Paraphrasing: Someone in the US, has U-Verse and two boxes, one DVR and the other a non-DVR STB that can access the DVR.  You (or another person) wants to be able to remotely watch the U-Verse system in Turkey.  That can definately be done with a Slingbox.  User @oufanindallas does this.

 

@scorewell - please use the Quote button, it shows who/what you are replying to.  Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

 • 

29.3K Messages

8年前


@dhascall wrote:

@scorewell wrote:
Only because I share with my daughter - DVR in US - I Sling to Turkey...
 

@scorewell - I'm not really sure what your question is.  Paraphrasing: Someone in the US, has U-Verse and two boxes, one DVR and the other a non-DVR STB that can access the DVR.  You (or another person) wants to be able to remotely watch the U-Verse system in Turkey.  That can definately be done with a Slingbox.  User @oufanindallas does this.

 

@scorewell - please use the Quote button, it shows who/what you are replying to.  Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.


I believe scorewell is answering baseballisback's implied question "why would you want to have separate program listings?"  It is because he records programs he wants and his daughter (using the slingbox) has different interests.  

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.