Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Need help understanding your bill?
exchangeguy's profile

Tutor

 • 

5 Messages

Wednesday, January 25th, 2012 2:25 PM

Internet sharing?

I've got a new Samsung Focus S (4G) with data plan.  In the settings menu there's an option for Internet Sharing.  When i turn it on i get the following message:  "Connection not shared. To enable tethering on this device go to..."  ..and then it gives me a web address to go to, or dial 611.

 

Is tethering an additional cost?  I get the phone and service through my company and i was told i had an unlimited (however "unlimited" is being defined these days) data plan.  Is it something i just need to activate?  Obviously i don't want to incur any additional charges, but it would be nice to have tethering enabled if it's already included.

 

Thanks in advance. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

 • 

682 Messages

12 years ago

Tethering is an additional cost, and it's not available to users with unlimited data plans. The smartphone + tethering plan is $50 for 5GB of data. Sorry, but there is no way to add tethering onto an unlimited data plan.

Tutor

 • 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Okee doke. Thanks for the info.

Contributor

 • 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I see that your compititors offer hot spot sharing on thier phones included in thier unlimitad plans. Is ATT ever going to compete with those plans?

Professor

 • 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

What competitor is that? It isn't Verizon Wireless or T-Mobile.

Expert

 • 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago


@petef3 wrote:

I see that your compititors offer hot spot sharing on thier phones included in thier unlimitad plans. Is ATT ever going to compete with those plans?


verizon does not offer unlimited so they are not the one

sprint's unlimited plan requires a rider to be able to do sharing and hotspot, it is an additional charge and has a 5GB limit

 

t-mobile has two plans that include hotspot capabilities, but for 20.00 a month additional you can add the capability to any dataplan

 

what carriers are you speaking of with unlimited data and hotpsot available for no additional charges?

Professor

 • 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago


@wingrider01 wrote:

@petef3 wrote:

I see that your compititors offer hot spot sharing on thier phones included in thier unlimitad plans. Is ATT ever going to compete with those plans?


verizon does not offer unlimited so they are not the one

sprint's unlimited plan requires a rider to be able to do sharing and hotspot, it is an additional charge and has a 5GB limit

 

t-mobile has two plans that include hotspot capabilities, but for 20.00 a month additional you can add the capability to any dataplan

 

what carriers are you speaking of with unlimited data and hotpsot available for no additional charges?


For T-Mobile the charge is $15 for mobile hotspot, and you can't add it to the Truly Unlimited data plan.  I'm still wondering which competitors petef3 is referring to.

 

Guru

 • 

552 Messages

12 years ago

ting doesn't charge extra for tethering.
However they aren't exactly a competitor of ATT, they are an entirely different sort of business.

Professor

 • 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago


@harryspar wrote:
ting doesn't charge extra for tethering.
However they aren't exactly a competitor of ATT, they are an entirely different sort of business.

That still wouldn't help petef3's point, as he says that competitors are offering tethering at no additional charge on unlimited data plans.  I don't see any unlimited data plans from Ting.

 

Expert

 • 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago


@harryspar wrote:
ting doesn't charge extra for tethering.
However they aren't exactly a competitor of ATT, they are an entirely different sort of business.


add to the simple fact to do tethering you need Data access capabilities - which seem to be lacking on their coverage map

http://ting.com/coverage

 

see zero coverage for data anyplace on it

Guru

 • 

552 Messages

12 years ago

@wingrider I think you're doing something wrong there.
Ting has Sprint's data network coverage.
If you really see zero data coverage then there might be something down with the website or your browser.
Try ticking the "data" box on top AND zooming in on a city. You should see the data coverage.
Outside of cities you probably won't see much coverage because.... well, because it's Sprint.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.