Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
puggernaut's profile



4 Messages

Saturday, November 17th, 2012 8:41 PM

I want to switch my number to Verizon, but want to keep my old AT&T plan. Can you do this?

I want to switch my number to Verizon, but want to keep my old AT&T plan so my son can have it. Does anyone have experience with doing this? Is This possible?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee


1.1K Messages

12 years ago

Is your son's line currently on your account or is your number the only one? If yours is the only line, the account will be closed when you port out the number.  Is the plan you currently have a grandfathered (no longer available) plan? The only way to maintain a grandfathered plan is if it's on a line that's already active. In other words, if your son already has a line on your account and the grandfathered plan is already provisioned on his line. If it's a family plan however, once your line is ported out, an individual plan will need to be provisioned, which will eliminate the grandfathered plan. 


I hope this answers your question! 

ACE - Expert


13.1K Messages

12 years ago

Usually not, especially if the plan is no longer available. Once you port out your number, the account is automatically closed.



121 Messages

12 years ago

the only way to keep the grandfathered features would be to keep the account under your name.
Even if you do a Transfer of Responsibility into your son's name, it'll remove all of the old / expired features.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.