AT&T not honoring the exchange offer
I moved my partner from her Cricket to my family plan in ATT in order use the device exchange offer ($700 for iPhone XR) in August. This process was the most painful and time wasting and in the end ATT did not honor the offer. Here is the timeline:
1. For the transfer, my partner and I went first to an ATT store, they told us cricket is different and the transfer cannot be done in store. We have to call 611 for the transfer and then we can come to the store to get the new device. They confirmed the $700 exchange offer in store.
2. We called 611 and the customer service transferred her number to ATT. They told us to go to the store for the device upgrade and exchange. Before the transfer they also confirmed the $700 exchange offer for iPhone XR. Since it was Friday evening the customer service told me I can do the rest in store over in the next couple of days.
3. We went to the store the day after and they told us, we needed to do the transfer and upgrade on the same day! and there is nothing they can do!
4. I called customer service and they told me they can take care of it over the phone and again confirmed the $700 credit. It took more than an hour to put the order in but it finally went through. The day after I got an email that the order is cancelled.
5. I called 611 again, this time the customer service (in the US) said she doesn't know why it the order was cancelled. But she told me we can reorder and ensured me this time it is going to be OK. It took another hour on the phone. AGAIN the order was cancelled the day after!
6. I went to the another store and they told me again that they cannot do anything about it.
7. I called 611 again and this time talked to a supervisor, went through the entire timeline (which took about 30 minutes) with him. He told me unfortunately, the orders are cancelled because my partner is recently transferred. But we would be able to upgrade 30 days after the transfer. And he promised me that the offer will stay unchanged by the end of September (which was a month after the transfer).
8. We waited for a month and went to the store and they tell us they will give us $350 for iPhone XR.
This is the worst type of customer service! Not only I spent more than 6 hours in stores and over the phone, we also did not get a new phone and her phone bill went up from $25 in Cricket to $38 in my family plan! Most frustrating is that no one takes responsibility here.