DSL Service is Flapping
I've had the AT&T DSL service (25Mb/s tier) for several years. It's been rock solid. My significant other and I both work from home and have never been in danger of hitting the hard limits. We previously had cable that promised some pretty substantial throughput (upwards of 10Gb/s) which sounds awesome, except for the fact that the service was shared by everyone in the community (partyline, essentially), and had a really bad track record of going out during the day, which meant 0 Mb/s, until they got around to fixing it.
We switched to AT&T ADSL Service at 25 Mb/s, which is dedicated and shared with no one. The service has been reliable... until very recently. One evening about a month ago, suddenly all of the services in the house stopped working. No internet browsing, no streaming (television content), no making cell phone calls over WiFi (WiFi service (Edited per community guidelines), so using cell over WiFi)... to name a few. After performing a bunch of diagnostics on the ARRIS device, my theory was that either the device was malfunctioning, or there was a hardware problem somewhere upstream. I reached out to AT&T Cust Service. The gentleman on the phone spent most of the call handling me, which I'm fine with if he is ultimately able to escalate to an engineer. He spent an inordinate amount of time interrogating the device in my home (the ARRIS BGW210-700), I spent about an hour on the phone while he alleged to be running tests, he was making the case that the problem was between the ARRIS and my home network. I explained repeatedly that I had already run the diagnostics on the ARRIS and that they clearly showed that the problem was upstream. Here are some images of those diags:
Figure 1: Running the internet speed test using the ARRIS-based utility complained because it couldn't contact the Test Server, and as a bonus, notice the massive latency, 8758ms:
Figure 2: After running the suite of ARRIS on-board diagnostics, the IP test failed, indicating a possible routing hardware issue: