Connecting your Apple TV
Trying to figure out how to get your Apple TV working? Follow these easy steps to get yourself going.
Setting up your Apple TV
- Connect Power
If possible, connect hardwired via an Ethernet cable
- Connect to your viewing device with an HDMI cable
- Turn on your television to your setup screen. If you do not see it, make sure you are on the right input on your TV. Try changing out the HDMI cable or testing the connection with another device.
- Connect your remote
Click the Touch surface at the top of the remote.
If the remote is not working, try getting closer. If still having issues, press and hold the Menu and Volume Up buttons for 5 seconds to resync it. Finally, if still not working properly, try charging the remote to ensure the battery is not dying.
- Choose your language and follow the setup instructions on your screen.
- Restart your Apple TV and router. To restart your Apple TV (4th Generation), go to Settings > System > Restart.
- If connecting wireless, try connecting hard wire and testing.
- Check for software updates. On the Apple TV (4th Generation), go to Settings > System > Software Updates.
- Check for an IP address. Go to Settings > Network. Make sure the IP address reflects one from your network. If there is none, troubleshoot your connection to your router. Sometimes a restart will help fix the problem.
- Test with nothing else connected on your network. Disconnect all devices besides the Apple TV.
- Check your internet connection. If you notice problems across other devices, troubleshoot your A&T internet.
David, AT&T Community Specialist