Hurry! Find the perfect gift today! Everyone gets our best deals on any smartphone!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet

New Member


1 Message

Thursday, November 5th, 2020 10:53 PM

Will there be fiber in my area and if so any ETA?

South-side central Tulsa area. Coverage map claims fiber is in Tulsa but when I check the web site I'm told it's unavailable...?  This is in the area north of 101st and Sheridan, south of the turnpike. Are there plans to expand into this area and if so when? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee


21.5K Messages

3 years ago

No public available plans on if or when any address, street, neighborhood will receive fiber upgrade.

The company had a commitment to reach 12.5+ million residential addresses over 4 years when the government approved the DirecTv purchase in summer 2015. From 2016 to late 2019 the company reached over 14 million residential addresses exceeding the goal by +10% (extra 1.5 million added).

Based upon various company officers statements since summer 2019 as goal was being reached immediate future fiber builds were going to be limited to cell towers, business, government, new GREENFIELD development of apartments, condos, subdivision. 

Existing BROWNFIELD areas may be considered if conditions are right.

A statement in January 2020 shifted the emphasis from adding new fiber addresses to installing the ones already provided for... the company at the time had 4 million fiber accounts out of the 14+ million and looking to reach 50% take rate.... add 3 million new fiber accounts over 3 years (2020-2022)

I am hopefully the company will make another future build statement when announcing their fiscal year in review with a look to the future.

The question becomes how much will be 5G, 5G+ mmwave from cell tower AND PROJECT AIRGIG which should improve faster speeds in rural, semi rural areas with electric poles in place. 

UVERSE FTTN (Fiber To The Node) was a 10 year buildout from 2006 to end 2015 reaching 33 million (3.3 million per year). Hope ATT FIBER gets a similar chance... if reaches 35 million over 10 years (to end 2025) means around 45% of all addresses within 21 states will have direct fiber while the other 55% will not. 5G, 5G+ is therefore the most likely future for many desiring faster speeds than current non direct fiber options  offer.

Just my thoughts

Not finding what you're looking for?