Increasingly terrible latency over the past 1-2 months
I've had no problems since getting Uverse installed March of '17 until now. Beginning in mid December (somewhere around the 12-14th by my recollection), I started experiencing latency spikes in online multiplayer games. It was just an annoyance at first, small spikes of a couple hundred ms every half hour or so. Without going into all of the details in between, as it stands today I get spikes of several seconds (not ms) every 15-30 seconds. This makes online multiplayer gaming a literal impossibility. I'm just going to lay out all of the information that I have gathered so far, there's quite a lot.
First, this is on fiber, not DSL. The model/router is a Pace 5268AC. Yes, I'm on a wireless connection, no a wired connection is not a possibility, however I've tested with wired connections and the problems are the same. It is not a problem with wireless signal strength or quality. More on that in the screenshots below. I've tested this on five separate devices in from my desktop, to my laptop, to phones and tablets. All show identical results with high latency spikes and packet loss in the same places.
Here come a number of screenshots of various diagnostics I've performed.
inSSIDer capture showing there is zero interference or traffic from other networks in the area. I also have a very strong signal to my modem.
Statistics from the modem captured just today. Still perfectly acceptible signals to the modem. This is after a recent reboot of the modem. Uptime: 2 days, 8 hours. Please note, the increase in noise is because the modem reset me to "default" channels in the 5GHz band and I was overlapping the other two networks near me. I've fixed that since this screenshow and am currently showing -40db again.
More modem stats. Taken at the same time as previous.
WinMTR screenshot taken just now. The second hop is the problem spot for high latency, hops 4 and 5 always show high packet loss. I don't know if it's purposeful dropping of ICMP packets due to high traffic or actual loss.
Just a quick WinMTR with hostnames resolved.
Finally a Wireshark capture filtering only Duplicate ACKs and TCP Retransmissions on the route shown in the WinMTRs. You can see an RTO of over 2 seconds which is common for most of these Retransmissions.
A final thing to note, I'm in Cleveland. We had a very warm and mild November/first couple weeks of December. The problems started just about the same time "winter" finally hit us in mid December and the temps dropped and so did the snow. This could be purely coincidental, but it's definitely worth mentioning. I'll gladly provide any additional information needed to fix this.
EDIT2: I also realize that I didn't mention that this problem exists 24/7. There is no specific time of day where it is worse or better.