Internet Latency Issues
For few years I've had perfect service, no reason to ever call AT&T but over the last several months I've had this terrible latency/download issues that will typically occur a couple to a few times a month and basically last an entire day.
When this occurs it affects all devices and isn't to any particular service. The internet itself is still "usable" but it's noticeable when it starts to occur.
- Games and applications with real time interactions typically have a ping range of 20~30 steady but will go to ~100 jumpy.
- Any browser based using will be significantly slower loading the more client-side files the webpage requires, especially images.
- Speed test to an AT&T server that normally net [~950mbps Down | ~950mbps Up | 16 ping] will give results like [~3D | ~900U | 80-120 ping]
As far as the home network nothing fancy, I have a total of ~15 devices connected and typically only a handful are actually used at once. 2 dumb switches with 4 hardwired devices and the rest are Wifi.
Things I've tried to resolve the issue.
- Contacted support MULTIPLE times
- Always results in them saying they see no major issues
- Resulted in two different techs coming out
- First visit saw no issues but moved my line on the neighborhood box
- Second visit saw no issues but "cleaned" a line head.
- Replaced the modem twice
- Factory reset the modem twice
- Side note: The problem with techs coming out is usually by the next day or two the issues is gone
- Attempted fixes on my end
- Unplugged different devices to test if the issue was caused by anything hooked up to the network
- Reviewed the modem settings
- No parental controls on
- No settings blocking traffic
- No unknown devices on the network
- No devices is using anywhere near the bandwidth allotted to me (1gbps)
I'm at a dead-end on where to go and the only other provider in my area is Xfinitiy (which I do not want to switch to) so any further advice/insight would be appreciated!