Nexus 6 OTA Updates (5.01 & 5.1)
I did my research and my homework and have it on pretty good authority (through experience) that AT&T is presently blocking updates to the Nexus 6 devices, regardless of how you purchased the device. This is CLEAR violation of the Nexus program provided by Google where Nexus devices that are unlocked are to be able to download and apply updates when requested. Now, we all know that Google rolls out those updates at a slower pace sometimes than we like, but to see our service provider blocking unlocked and fully personally owned devices from receiving OTA updates from Google is a travesty. I even called your tech support department who told me point blank that you were not blocking any updates on your system. AT&T, you need to fix this. If you won't because you can't determine which devices are locked and unlocked on your network, then you just need to remove the block and let them update as needed. There are plenty of developers who purchase these devices to build applications on them and you blocking a data download is like my ISP blocking me from updating Windows 8. In fact, its a clear violation of several laws governing my unfettered access to data on the internet so long as it is lawful and does no harm to your network. That being said, PROVE that 5.1 on the Nexus 6 is harmful to your network before you block it. We all know it isn't so relax your controls and let it happen. If you say it is....post the information. We would all love to read how out of all the Nexus devices the 6 is one that could cripple AT&T's operations. It would prove to be an interesting read right next to any lawsuits you are planning against the FCC Open Internet Rules which we all know is typical Company baloney.
Since I know my tirade will go completely unanswered and literally ignored by AT&T, here is how you can fix it on your own without mother hen getting in the way.
1) Remove your SIM card from your phone.
2) Perform a factory reset.
3) During the setup process it will ask you to insert your SIM card....DON'T. (Yep AT&T...that's how I figured out what you were doing.)
4) Follow the rest of the steps like normal and attach on to your Wi-Fi. You'll be immediately promopted to download the latest OTA which for me was 5.0.1. Download and install. After the next reboot you should see the next OTA (if you were like me). Download and install.
5) Re-insert AT&T's SIM card and enjoy your phone again like you should.
Hopefully you stop acting like each device on your system is your's when it clearly isn't. Oh and your woefully slow update process for those who actually own AT&T branded devices (which I don't), needs to start speeding up. You can't maintain your network security when you have insecure devices out there.
Thanks and hope this helps someone.