Please help a dumb Englishman moving to America!
I am British and am moving to New York in February next year. I need to get myself an American phone and number so I can sort a few things out.
I have found an iPhone 6S Plus on AT&T that I like and can order from Best Buy, I can also get one of my friends in the US to pick it up and activate it for me.
I have a lot of questions that and would be very grateful if someone could answer them for me:
- Firstly, I assume an iPhone 6S Plus will work internationally on AT&T?
- If he were to ship it to me the day after activation, would the phone be able to work in the UK, on the US SIM card, with the American number? Is there a minimum length of time a phone has to be in the US before it will work internationally?
- What information would he need to set up a prepaid account on my behalf? Would a SSN/ITIN be necessary for a prepaid account? - I do not have mine yet!
- How long is the delay between a text being sent in the US, and receiving it in the UK whilst on AT&T?
- If something goes disastrously wrong, what is the length of time a phone would have to be outside of the US before AT&T would cut off the service?
I know all this will incur pay-as-you-go roaming charges, but as a short-term measure it is okay!
Thank you in advance for your help! Have a great day!